1 cup of whole skinned urad dal
3 cups of idli rava or cream of rice
1.5 tsp of salt
How to make Idli using Idli Rava:
- Soak the dal and idli rava separately in water for about 1.5 hours
- Grind the dal first using liberal amounts of water until you get a smooth, flowing batter of urad dal. Refer my previous idli recipe post for more tips.
- The soaked idli rava doesn’t need to be ground. You can add it directly to the urad dal mixture to get the idli batter that then needs to ferment. So mix the two together and add the salt.
- Set aside closed for 6-8 hours until the batter gets fermented.
- Mix the batter gently and pour into greased idli moulds. Steam for about 12-15 mins and you get piping hot idli rava idlis!